Go back to normal view


Christening & Child Baptism

Hannah said, “O, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you, praying to the Lord. I prayed for this boy, and the Lord has given me what I asked of Him. So I have given him to the Lord. He is given to the Lord as long as he lives.”

1 Samuel 1:26-28 (NLT)

It's exciting whenever a new child enters a family. There's no greater moment when parents sense that children are a gift from God. In these joyful moments, pastors have the privilege of sharing how parents can express their full appreciation to God through baby dedication and also provide the opportunity for the congregation to formally celebrate with the parents and welcome the child into the family of the church.

Dedicating a child acknowledges God's sovereignty not only over the child, but also Mum and Dad. Parents present their child before God and His people asking for grace and wisdom in carrying out their responsibilities. Parents also come praying that their child might one-day trust Jesus Christ as Savior for the forgiveness of sin.

While some Christian ministers baptize babies, Baptists believe that baptism follows a personal commitment to Jesus which leads to repentance and then baptism. In Acts 2:38 Peter says, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.” Nevertheless, Baptists also believe that it is important to mark the birth of a child, or to welcome into the fellowship children of parents who have come to faith which is why we have a service of presenting, dedicating and blessing a child which we call a Dedication. There is a beautiful story in 1 Samuel that tells of a mother so overwhelmed with being blessed with a child that she not only dedicates the child to God but gives him over for service in the temple. Whilst we don’t expect or even want parents to make such a commitment, the story does convey some of the sentiment behind dedication.

If you would like to know more about dedicating your child then please contact the Minister.